Friday, July 8, 2011

10 days and counting!

10 days and 33 things to do before I leave. My list keeps getting longer and longer, not shorter!
Let me share a little bit about how this trip came about. To go way back, I once read a book about Clara Barton and decided that nursing was what I wanted to do with my life. As I grew older and read more missionary biographies, I imagined myself being a missionary nurse to India. I've gone on a lot (I think 9) mission trips with our youth group, and I've always wanted to take a longer trip overseas as a nurse. Last summer I decided after I graduated from nursing school at Lancaster General would be the ideal time to take my trip, so I started looking at different mission groups. None of them had the 3 month, 1 person, nursing trip to live in peoples homes like I wanted. I eventually discovered that the Churches of God have a mission hospital over in Bangladesh and they were willing to have me come over, so it just went from there. Lots of questions, emails, and prayers went into finalizing my decision to go. I remember praying one night as I worked. "God, I think this would be a great trip, I think you could use me there, and I want to go. So I'm going. If you don't want that to happen, please slam the door." After that, I just started making preparations. It amazes me just how much there is to do before you leave the country for a while. I think the thing I least looked forward to was the support raising, but that has actually turned out to be the biggest blessing. I am so thankful and amazed at how many people have been so willing to help me. You guys are incredible. I have been so blessed through this experience. So that's how this trip has come about. My dad played a big part in encouraging me to go. He's helped me through time times when I've wondered,"What did I just get myself into?" Even now, I still don't know exactly what I'm in for. I'm not going so much because I think I have a lot to offer them. I really want to join with what they are doing where I can, learn from them, and experience their culture with them. So, here goes!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I can hardly believe the date is almost here. I'll try my best not to cry until after you leave!

    ReplyDelete